​​Desjardins Group Pension Plan (DGPP)

A divorce, separation from bed and board (legal separation), termination of living in a marital relationship or marriage annulment may have repercussions on your pension plan.

If you are a DGPP member working in Quebec, New Brunswick or Ontario (in Ontario, the conjugal breakdown must have occurred after December 31, 2011), the DGPP will calculate the amount that could be split, upon your or your spouse’s request.  If you work in any other province, the DGPP can only execute the judgment.

To get a pension splitting estimate, please contact the DGPP Member Services Team.  An advisor will gather the required information: 

  • the name and date of birth of your ex-spouse;
  • the date of marriage or beginning of the marital relationship;
  • the date the divorce motion was filed or the date agreed upon between the parties;
  • your personal address.

You will get the pension splitting estimate by mail, to your home address.  This document will be useful for your mediation procedure and, if needed, for the writing of the legal papers.

If a credit split must be carried out, the DGPP will proceed in accordance with the terms of the court order.  The amount due to your ex-spouse will be transferred to a locked-in retirement account (LIRA) or his/her pension plan, if applicable.  This amount will appear on your annual DGPP statement in the form of a negative pension.  This amount will vary over time and, at termination of employment, retirement or death, your pension value will be adjusted accordingly.  This splitting might also be done if you are already retired.  Your pension payment would then be reduced.

If you and your common-law spouse stop living in a marital relationship, you can, within 12 months, agree in writing to split the benefits you have accumulated in the DGPP.

Following a divorce decree, a marriage annulment, a separation from bed and board or, for common-law spouses, a termination of living in a marital relationship, a retiree may request that the form of pension be re-set as if he or she never had a spouse upon retirement.

You and your ex-spouse could agree to split the pension credits outside the plan. In such a case, it would be important to have this decision noted in the court judgement

Following such an event, you may wish to designate a new beneficiary.

Group Insurance

​To find out how this life event could affect your group insurance plan, please visit My Health Is Cool 360°.

​You can also access My Health Is Cool 360° from the Desjardins Insurance secure site.